There are several key issues to consider in regard to this question.
- God created man and enjoyed a relationship with him (Genesis 1-2).
- When Adam sinned, his relationship with God was broken. And every person since Adam, because of sin, also has a broken relationship with God (Romans 5:12).
- The Bible says the penalty for sin is death (Romans 6:23). However, God was willing to send His Son Jesus to pay the penalty of sin (John 3:16).
- Jesus paid for all sin when He died on the cross and took God’s wrath upon Himself (2 Corinthians 5:21; 1 John 4:10). His resurrection on the third day proves God’s acceptance of that payment (1 Corinthians 15:21-23).
- Jesus’ death demonstrates God’s love for you and God’s willingness to forgive you of your sins (Romans 5:8).
- The only way you can receive the forgiveness God offers is to pray and ask God to forgive you and accept Christ’s payment on your behalf (Romans 10:9-10, 13).
- Just as with Adam’s sin the penalty of sin is eternal punishment in hell (2 Thessalonians 1:7-9; Revelation 20:13-15). Every person who receives the forgiveness of God enjoys eternity with God in heaven (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17).
Am I prepared for eternity?
So, back to our original question, “Are you prepared for eternity?” You can be today if you are forgiven of your sins through Jesus Christ.